Under normal circumstances, recovery time from a tooth extraction is only a few days. Close adherence to the recommended healing regimen helps expedite the healing period. To minimize the risk of infection, as well as hasten the healing process, your healing regimen may include any or all of the following:
• Avoid chewing until the anesthesia wears off – the aim here is to prevent damaging the tissue owing to a lack of sensation at the treatment site.
• Use pain reliever and other medications as prescribed.
• Bite firmly on the gauze to hasten blood clot formation. Periodic changing of the gauze pad is advised.
• Apply ice at the extraction site to prevent or reduce swelling.
• Avoid activities that might contribute to dislodging the clot from the affected site. Drinking using straws and forceful spitting are cases in point.